[Insight-users] Watershed Behavior

Albert Huang alberth+itk at ece.ubc.ca
Wed Feb 7 22:24:21 EST 2007

Dear experts

I was just playing with the watershed pipeline a few days ago using a checkerboard pattern (with uint8 grids of black=64, gray=153, white=192), and observed a zig-zaggy pattern on some edges (see http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~alberth/watershed.png). Adding a smooth field on the checkboard results in more zig-zaggy behaviors on edges that seem fairly strong in the input image. I am wondering if this is normal behavior for the itkWatershedImageFilter?

My pipeline (ITK 3.0.1) setup is as below:
    file reader ->
    vector gradient magnitude image filter (pca off) ->
    watershed (level=0.2, threshold=0.0) ->
    relabel component

p.s. The black regions in the outputs are colormap problems and not a watershed issue. =)

Thanks
Albert