[Insight-users] Using MI-metrics with image couples that have huge size differences

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Feb 7 13:28:41 EST 2007

Hi Ralf,

Given the small spatial coverage of the rotation angiography
image it actually makes more sense to use it as the fixed
image.

In your current use of the CT as fixed image you will be
spending a lot of time in mapping pixels that end up being
outside of the range of the rotation angiography image.

However, if you prefer to insist in using the CT as fixed
image, then here are two suggestion that may help:

1) Use the FixedImageRegion: to reduce the region from which
    samples are taken. This may require a bit of user interaction
    for defining the ROI of the CT that corresponds to the angiography
    image.

2) You can disable the check of the MI metric, and just force it
    to continue despite the low ratio of samples that map inside
    the moving image.  Just be aware that there is a tradeof between
    the number of actual samples and the number of bins on your MI
    histogram. You want to have enough samples to populate the histogram.
    If you end up with a reduced number of samples, you may be forced
    to reduce the number of bins in your histogram too.

    If you want to disable the exception, just comment out line 154
    of the file

          Insight/Code/Algorithms/
             itkMutualInformationImageToImageMetric.txx

With an appropriate ROI in (1) you may not need to do (2).

3) Note that if you change your mind and you use the rotation
    angiography image as fixed image, you can always get the
    inverse of the transform that results from that registration
    and that will be (in theory) equivalent to the registration
    that you are currently performing.