[Insight-users] Sobel Edge Detection: Problem in Windows XP with VS2005: Take 2

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Feb 7 08:59:20 EST 2007

Hi Dan,

         Your code works fine for me.

Both on Windows with Visual Studio 7.1 and on
Linux with Gcc 4.1, *as long as* I provide as output
a file format that supports the pixel type *float*.

I'm suspecting that you are giving a .PNG file as
the filename for the output.

The PNG file format does not support pixel types
other than:

         a) Unsigned char
         b) Unsigned short

Using the PNG writer with any other pixel type
will generate an exception.

You correctly have set up the catch() for exceptions,
and they are caught correctly on Linux.

However, the Visual Studio compiler has a bug that
prevents it from recognizing the exception type in
this very particular case.

Please look at the code of

    Insight/Code/IO/itkPNGImageIO.cxx

lines 447-451 and 469-472.

This is a known bug of the compiler and has been logged
in Bug #1872:

http://public.kitware.com/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1872

To summarize:

0) The Sobel filter works fine.

1) Your code works fine.

2) You *MUST* use an output file format that support
    pixel type float *OR* you must cast the output
    image to another type.

3) Your exception catching code is right

4) There is a bug in Visual Studio that prevents
    this particular exception from being caught
    correctly.