[Insight-users] Bug in DICOM reader for 4D data?

frankmiller at jhmi.edu frankmiller at jhmi.edu
Tue Feb 6 10:30:37 EST 2007

Matthias,

I to am working with 4D MRI data and prefer to have it as a single 4D
volume. The method suggested in the 2004-May post doest work because the
ImageSeriesReader has no information about the fourth dimension. It sees
one big stack of 2D images.

My approach to this is to organize the images in my file system
as a series of directories grouped by time index. i.e. all slices from
time index 0 in directory 000/, all slices from time index 1 in
directory 001/, and so on. I then load the slices from each directory
into a 3D volume in the usual way with itk::ImageSeriesReader and use
the itk::TileImageFilter to group the 3D volume together into a 4D
volume.

This solution seems less then ideal but it works.  Let me know if you
have any questions.

Frank