[Insight-users] InsightToolkit-3.4.0 python wrap missing module _vcl_complex

David Jarvis david.jarvis at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Dec 11 23:11:05 EST 2007

To insight-users at itk.org

I have for the first time tried to install
InsightToolkit-3.4.0 (and CableSwig-ITK-3.4.0), compiling from source
on a gentoo linux Intel machine with  gcc (GCC) 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1-r3)
and python 2.4.4

When trying to execute the python test script below  (after adding the
   appropriate directories to PYTHONPATH):
#! /usr/bin/env python
import InsightToolkit
print "hello itk"

the result is
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/djarvis/visiblehuman/ITKproj/pyexample1/testlib.py",
line 2, in ?
     import InsightToolkit
   File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/python/InsightToolkit.py",
line 1, in ?
     from itkalgorithms import *
   File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/python/itkalgorithms.py", line
1, in ?
     from itknumerics import *
   File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/python/itknumerics.py", line
1, in ?
     from itkcommon import *
   File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/python/itkcommon.py", line 1,
in ?
     from vxlnumerics import *
   File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/python/vxlnumerics.py", line
4, in ?
     from VXLNumericsPython import *
   File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/VXLNumericsPython.py", line
33, in ?
     from vcl_complex import *
   File "/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/vcl_complex.py", line 5, in ?
     import _vcl_complex
ImportError: No module named _vcl_complex

When I searched the list of installed files, as detailed from the
command
make install
I can find files such as
Installing /usr/local/include/InsightToolkit/Utilities/vxl/vcl/
vcl_complex.txx
Installing /usr/local/include/InsightToolkit/Utilities/vxl/vcl/
generic/vcl_complex.h
Installing /usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/WrapITK/ClassIndex/
wrap_vcl_complex.idx
Installing /usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/WrapITK/ClassIndex/
wrap_VXLNumericsPython.idx Installing /usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/
WrapITK/ClassIndex/wrap_vcl_complex.idx
Installing /usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/WrapITK/ClassIndex/
wrap_vcl_complex.idx
Installing /usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/WrapITK/lib/
VXLNumericsPython.py
Installing /usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/WrapITK/lib/vcl_complex.py

There is nothing installed that looks like   _vcl_complex.py

Also searching the likely .so libraries with command 'nm' did not
reveal anything declared
as _vcl_complex

I note some chatter on the web with some other user experiencing similar
problems on an ubuntoo machine, and a reply from Gaeten Lehmann Nov
28 2007
suggesting that not both of WrapITK and ITK_CSWIG_PYTHON be used in
the cmake build. I  have tried setting ITK_CSWIG_PYTHON to OFF as
suggested, but the error persists

I would appreciate any help on this matter, and perhaps a pointer to
more
detailed information on the build settings and testing and installing
process
than I can find in the ITK software guide, which is thin on these
details.
The document InsightStart.pdf, referred to in some web pages, does
not appear
to be currently available in the Documentation section of the ITK
website

Thank you for any help
David Jarvis (david.jarvis at adelaide.edu.au)