[Insight-users] confirmation of isotropic spacing requirement for levelset filters in ITK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Dec 10 11:13:54 EST 2007

Hi Charl,

The FastMarchingLevelSetImageFilter will correctly take spacing into
account. We fixed when we were writing plugins for VolView.

For all the others LevelSetFilters, the UseImageSpacing flag is
available in the base class "FiniteDifferenceImageFilter":

http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1FiniteDifferenceImageFilter.html

for updating the computation of the derivatives.

However, as Karthik pointed out, it remains to be seen whether there
are other places where the spacing should have been taking into account.
(and may have not been used correctly).

If you are short of time, resampling the image, as Karthik suggested
is the safest way to go.

Reviewing these filters for correct support for image spacing
would be an interesting exercise for course projects in an
image processing course. (Hint for Hans)