Fwd: [Insight-users] Re: Passing pixel data from or to itk filter

Reinhard Hameeteman k.hameeteman+maillist at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 17:55:54 EST 2007

Hi Luis,

Thanks for taking a look.

Let me try to untangle things by reducing it to one method:

I want to pass the output buffer of the itk filter (an itk::Image<
itk::Vector< float, 3>, 3> image) to my application. So the itk filter
is responsible for allocating the buffer, but is told not to
deallocate the buffer when getting out of scope like this:

// create my own image
CustomImageType m_MemberImage.;

// pointer to an aray of 3 floats
vecf3 * pixelPointer;

// get pointer to itk output buffer
pixelPointer =  itkFilter->GetOutput()->GetPixelContainer()->GetImportPointer();

// pass the itk buffer to my own application
m_MemberImage.setData( pixelPointer );

// tell itk filter not to destroy the buffer
itkFilter->GetOutput()->GetPixelContainer()->SetContainerManageMemory(false);

This works fine until I want to deallocated the image buffer using:
delete[] pixelPointer;

I've used this method before with itk::Image< short, 3> images and it
worked fine, but now with the vector image my program crashes upon
deleting the buffer.

Sorry for the confusing, I hope this clarifies it a bit.

Reinhard