[Insight-users] Pipelining - Loading MINC Image with VTK and Applying Registration in ITK

M. Wirtzfeld wirtzfeld at rogers.com
Sun Dec 9 14:23:59 EST 2007

Morning, afternoon, evening,

I need to apply ITK registration classes using a MINC volume and a
DICOM slice.  Both the ITK and VTK toolkits are new to me.

I have the Mattes Mutual Information registration class working (from
the ITK Software Guide example) by converting the MINC volume and
DICOM slice to the Raw MetaImage format.  However, I would like to
use the original MINC and DICOM files without conversion, using them
natively in a consolidate piece of source-code.

I am able to read the MINC volume using the VTK class
"vtkMINCImageReader".  I would like to pipeline this volume into ITK,
but I am not sure how to proceed.  I have come across the ITK
"VTKImageToImageFilter" but I'm not sure if this is appropriate.

I also need to ensure that the final MINC volume in ITK and slice
have the same "frame of reference" using their direction-cosine
values.  I am aware of the article by Kent Williams, but the devil is
in the details and I am not sure how to proceed.

Thanks,

Michael.