[Insight-users] Sub-volumes registration

Nic itk at fete.ch
Mon Dec 3 05:18:32 EST 2007

Hi all,
    I'm a in trouble for the very last step of my registration program when merging stacks, help would be greatly appreciated, deadline is coming ! :)
My registration process is actually successful, I get a correct registration result which can perhaps be refined with a finer interpolator, but that's another story.
Result is here: http://itk.tiboufroulou.com/final.png (slice view), http://itk.tiboufroulou.com/final3D.png (3D view)

Actually I registrate two sub-volumes resulting from two big stacks. Because doing the registration process with the full stacks loaded is impossible (avaible memory and time consuming problem), I only load the two subvolumes for the registration. The problem now is to "translate" my final transformation for the two subvolumes in a transform for the two full stacks, I tried to set the rotation center and add translation to the final parameters, but I don't think it is the good way and if it is even possible to reach a solution..
On the other hand, back to itk manual, I'm wondering if there is a possibility to force registration only on subvolume regions (thinking about set fixedimageregion, setfixedimagemask, setmovingimagemask), thus loading the full stacks but only doing registration with subvolume data, final transformation taking into account the whole stacks..
Kind regards, nic

Supplementary informations:

At the beginning, two big volumes of images (2048 x 2048 x min120 images), those volumes have a common volume present in each stack, always near the top of each stack because the images stacks result from a two-side scan of a sample, from outside until a little farther than the middle. The idea is to registrate the stacks on the two subvolumes: http://itk.tiboufroulou.com/schema.png. Identification of position of subvolumes is made through a GUI (browsing both images stacks). For initialisation, a 180° rotation around oy-axis then a rotation around z identified through superposition view in GUI is made (Superposition view: http://itk.tiboufroulou.com/superposition.png). Finally, centers of subvolumes are calculated geometrically, center of moving image have an (x,y) offset added, offset resulting from a translation visually made on GUI (same view as above); the offset observed in GUI is transformed by the intial transformation(the two successive rotations)  and then added to the moving center. Initial transformation is thus initialized with the two successive rotation and the translation(movingCenter-fixedCenter calculated above)