[Insight-users] itkConfidenceConnectedImageFilter / Patented (part of the FuzzyConnectednessFilter) or not ?

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 01:58:36 EDT 2007

Hi Luis,

I found your discussion regarding "Intellectual Monopolies"
interesting. Moreover, it has raised some questions which are plaguing
me:

   Can we submit implementations of patented algorithms to the Insight Journal?
   Is there any point?

The reason I ask is that I have implemented the minimal path
extraction algorithm given in:

   [1] T. Deschamps. Curve and Shape Extraction with Minimal Path and
Level-Sets techniques: Applications to 3D Medical Imaging. PhD
dissertation, University of Paris Dauphine, 2001.
   [2] T. Deschamps and L. Cohen. Fast extraction of minimal paths in
3D images and applications to virtual endoscopy. Medical Image
Analysis, 5(4):281–299, 2001.

I used the US Patent office database search page you provided with the
terms "minimal path" and "fast marching" and received five hits. I
tried to decipher the terminology used in these patents but the
"inventions" still remain a mystery to me.

Do I continue with the planned Insight Journal submission? Will the
review process uncover if a patent covers the "idea(s)" I have
implemented? Is there an easy mechanism to determine if a particular
algorithm can be included in the toolkit *before* actually spending
the time implementing it and preparing a submission? (I was quite
disappointed to find these five patents and discover the work I have
been preparing may now be of little use to others...)

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers, Dan