[Insight-users] segmentation problems using Fast marching image filter

Dan Mueller d.mueller at qut.edu.au
Mon Apr 30 18:58:32 EDT 2007

Hi Vijay,

The result of the FastMarchingImageFilter is heavily dependent on the
speed image (which is provided as the filter input): if the speed image
does not contain the features you require, the results will not be
meaningful. Further, because the contour is controlled by position only
(ie. the front expands outwards according to the speed image values -
not curvature or advection), you must ensure that the important edges of
your speed image are close to 1.0 to ensure the front does not 'leak'
into unwanted regions too early.

I highly recommend that you read the section on Fast Marching
segmentation in the Insight Software Guide (
http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf , around section 9.3.1) and also
(if you can lay your hands on it) the book by Sethian mentioned in the
Algorithms/itkFastMarchingImageFilter.h header file/documentation. After
doing this reading, it is probably worthwhile to comment out most of
your Fast Marching code (leaving only the speed image computation part)
and write out the speed image to disk to ensure it captures the
edges/features you are interested in. Also, be mindful of your image
viewer when viewing the output of the Fast Marching method. In most
image viewers, the output will typically look binary (black and white
only) because the parts of the image the front did not reach will be
assigned a large value (in the order of 3.402823e38) whereas the parts
the front did reach will be assigned the time-crossing value (eg.
0-1000) -- 1000 compared to 3.402823e38 is very small and will appear
black. You may want to threshold the output between [0 .. StoppingValue]
to strip away these very large portions of the output.

In regards to supplying your image to the ITK community: it is probably
best to upload the image to some web-based file share system and paste
the link into an email to the insight-users list.

HTH

Cheers, Dan