[Insight-users] Creating 3d mesh\surface from image slice set

Jonathan Waite jmw at 2pti.com
Fri Apr 27 19:58:32 EDT 2007

Hello All,

I am trying to build a semi-automatic segmentation method that uses vtk
splines (for adjustment and initialization) + 2D image segmentation filters
to create a 3D volume.  The simple way to do this is to generate a mask for
every slice and use itkpasteimagefilter to take the collection of 2D slices
and create a 3D image volume and then run the vtk contour filter.  However
the flaw in this approach is that every slice requires a mask.  I could fill
in any missing slices with itkInterpolateImageFilter, using two segmented
slices but this would not produce a satisfactory result because it would not
capture curving of the contour.  I need to interpolate between all slices
that have been segmented.

So what I think I am looking for is either:

1) A non linear interpolation method I could use over the image space that
would take multiple initialization slices to find missing slices. I can then
use these slices to create a complete 3D image volume and then use vtk's
contour filter.

OR

2) A surface generation method that will take various slices and interpolate
a contour across them.

Any help with the two listed ideas or different approaches would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon