[Insight-users] New User Requires Help

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Wed Apr 18 09:49:58 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 12:45 +0530, Himadri Sarkar wrote:
> Hello ITK Users
>
> I am new to this ITK stuff and am not able to get exactly how to start
> working on it.
>
> I have installed cmake
> I have build ITK(The build is around 1GB took more than 1 hr)
> further I am able to run the HelloWorld example

That's a VERY good start! It took me many tries over weeks to get that
far.

> I wanted to know is ITK a library sort of thing or is there any GUI
> for it in which we emulate graphics.

ITK is a library. It processes but does not display graphics. When you
use ITK alone you will probably read from a file, do some operation on
the data, and save the output to another file.

> I also want to know what is VTK and how it can be used with ITK,
> further is it a supplement to ITK or its an independent application.

VTK is a library for processing, displaying, and interacting with
graphics in a single or multi-process environment.

There is also a program called ParaView that is a library and GUI for
processing, displaying, and interacting with graphics in a single or
multi-process environment.

ITK, VTK, and ParaView work very well together I bounce back and forth
between them depending on what I want to do.