[Insight-users] object factories and the heap

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Tue Apr 17 03:02:55 EDT 2007

I'm starting to read the ITK software guide more closely
(http://itk.org/files/v3.2/ItkSoftwareGuide-2.4.0.pdf).

When I got to this passage, I started scratching my head.

    3.2.3 Object Factories

    Most classes in ITK are instantiated through an object factory
    mechanism. That is, rather than using the standard C++ class
    constructor and destructor, instances of an ITK class are created
    with the static class New() method. In fact, the constructor and
    destructor are protected: so it is generally not possible to
    construct an ITK instance on the heap...

I think the authors meant "stack" rather than "heap" in this section.
Correct?

-Steve