[Insight-users] demons \w MI and BSpline optimization

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Apr 15 10:58:42 EDT 2007

Hi Ruben

1) The implementation of the Demons deformable registration filter
    is closely related to the concept of optical flow, and to the
    minimization of the MeanSquares difference between the two images
    to be registered.

    You could replace the concept of optical flow in the Demons
    algorithm by modifying the code of the file:

       Insight/Code/Algorithms/
            itkDemonsRegistrationFunction.txx

    In particular the method ComputeUpdate().

    In your case, instead of computing the difference value

         speedValue = fixedValue - movingValue

    in line 246.

    You could use these two values to cumulate a joint probability
    just as the Mattes Mutual information metric does.

    Note that for the case of Demons, you may have to perform
    two passes.  One for estimating the Joint histogram of the
    two images given the current deformation field; and another
    pass for estimating how an intensity change (due to a displacement
    of the deformation field) in one pixel will modify the total
    value of Mutual Information that you already estimated.  From
    this variational value, Demons could compute the update for
    the deformation field.

2) One effective way of proceeding with the fine-tunning of
    optimization parameters is to attach some visualization
    to this process, so that you can follow up the progress
    at every iteration.  You may want to attach a module of
    VTK visualization to the Command Observer that you probably
    already have connected to the LBFGSB optimizer.

    By visually following the progress of the deformation field
    you will be in a much better position for fine tunning the
    parameters of the optimizer.