[Insight-users] trouble with Borland and ITK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Mar 26 11:10:36 EST 2006

Hi Emmanuel,

The Borland compiler 5.6 has a sub-standard support for C++ Templates.

It is unfortunate that Borland degraded it compiler from the quality
it had in its version 5.5.

Borland has many deficiencies on the level of implementation of the
C++ standard. (for example you cannot use enums for carrying integer
constants as parameters to template classes). ITK was adapted to the
defiencies of Borland 5.5, but the ones in 5.6 were too many to make
it worth to distort ITK only for supporting a poor compiler.

Despite its deficies (or maybe due to them) the Borland compiler is
one of the fastest for building ITK.

If you have a choice, I would strongly suggest you to use other
compilers. For a full list of the compilers supported in ITK you may
want to look at the tutorial:

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStartedI-WebPage/index.htm

Probably the best option is GCC, whether you use it from MinGW,
Cygwin or from Linux.