[Insight-users] Re: about BUILD_EXAMPLES

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Mar 21 08:50:38 EST 2006

Hi 方元元

The Examples in ITK are build from the top of the source tree.
This is done only to facilitate testing and validation of the
software every night. If you set Examples to ON, you will build
about 300 small command line programs that correspond to all the
examples presented in the ITK Software Guide. We recommend to
first build ITK *without* the examples and *without* the testing
because in that way you only need 15 minutes for building the
toolkit. Then you can try the HelloWorld project described both
in the Tutorial and in the ITK Software guide.

Once you start getting familiar with the toolkit, you are expected
to extract the examples from the ITK source tree and to run them
in independent directories.

The first step for doing that, is to get familiar with creating
CMakeLists.txt files for your projects. Please *read the Tutorial*
session "Getting Started I" which guide you through the process of
building ITK, and then explain you how to create a minimal project
that uses ITK.

You will also find a detailed description of this process in the
ITK Software Guide. The simplest example of a project that uses
ITK independently of the source tree is in the directory:

             Insight/Examples/Installation

If you take the CMakeLists.txt and HelloWorld.cxx files from this
directory and copy them into an independent directory, you will be
able to use ITK from there. First you will do the configuration
process using CMake and then you will build the code with your
compiler. The configuration process will find the vnl directories
for your includes (as well as many other include directories).

Please *read the documentation* as indicated in our previous email
and follow the instructions in the tutorial:

                  Set EXAMPLES to OFF
                  Set TESTING  to OFF

Forget about InsightApplications and FLTK until you are confident
building small ITK projects as instructed in the ITK Software Guide.
For your first introduction to ITK you don't need InsightApplications
and you don't need FLTK.

Just follow the tutorial session  "Getting Started I", follow
the step by step instructions on that tutorial.