[Insight-users] ITKIO changes in ITK 2.6.0

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Mon Mar 20 13:42:55 EST 2006

> Hi Mathieu,
>
> Looks like the tiffs I had problems with are now loading through ITK.

Excellent ! Thanks for report.

> My group has historically used ImageMagick because it could open most
> anything we threw at it.  With eariler versions of ITK (maybe 1.8 or
> 2.0), my app would crash when reading some tiffs.  With the previous
> version (2.4.1), ITK would no longer crash, but images were not read as
> 16 bit (I would get weird wrap-around images).  Now it looks like
> everything works!  Incidently, I do get a warning on reading my tiff
> images, but I'm guessing these unknown fields are ignored, and they
> don't seem to effect the image data:

In older tiff lib, the private tags where not handled properly.

> TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, D:/Nano/data/Fibrin/mani402.tif: unknown
> field with tag 317 (0x13d) encountered.
> TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, D:/Nano/data/Fibrin/mani402.tif: unknown
> field with tag 33628 (0x835c) encountered.

As long as they do not contain any useful information, I guess we can
simply skip them.
Have a look at itkLSMImageIO to see an example of subclassing the
itkTIFFImageIO to read specific TIFF private tags.

> I have posted this image at:
> http://www.cs.unc.edu/~beastwoo/images/mani402.tif

ok

> I'll still open a bug for the name mangling with the jpeg libraries, in
> case someone has a better reason for wanting to use a third party IO
> library.  I'll discuss with my group to see if I can use only the ITK IO
> api now.

Generally speaking this is always better to do the name mangling just in
case subproject of ITK also uses openjpeg.

Mathieu