[Insight-users] about gaussian filter

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Mar 14 14:09:37 EST 2006

Hi Liu,

This filter is not implemented using convolutions.

Instead, it uses IIR filters in order to approximate
the effect of the convolution. This is the reason why
this filter is faster than traditional convolution.

You will find details about the family of Recursive Gaussian
filters:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1RecursiveGaussianImageFilter.html

       in the original publication by Rachid Deriche:

"Recursively Implementing The Gaussian and Its Derivatives",
INRIA, 1993,
ftp://ftp.inria.fr/INRIA/tech-reports/RR/RR-1893.ps.gz

If you continue experiencing any problems with boundary effects,
then please post a screenshot of your output image in a public
web site or in one of the many image databases available out there
and let us know where to look for the image.  You could also post
a piece of source code that replicates the problem that you are
reporting.