[Insight-users] Running ITK on Window systems: JAVA/JNI

Andrew Li andrew.li at synarc.com
Tue Mar 7 21:28:45 EST 2006

Dear ITK users:

First, there is a good news: Our Image Processing Package linked with
ITK libraries has just past validation. It includes among other tasks:
	Intracranial volume segmentation and calculations;
	Single-modality registration and resampling, provided by
Kitware;
	Multi-modality registration and resampling;
	Whole-brain volume segmentation and calculations;
Please allow us to take this opportunity to thank ITK developers for
providing us this wonderful ITK package and to thank ITK users for
constantly providing us advice and suggestions.

Majority of the code is in C++. SWIG is used to generate lower level of
JNI java classes for some interface classes only (not for any ITK
classes). Upper level interface in Java is then developed to connect
other components of our Neurology Reading Platform such as GUI (all in
Java).

The package is currently running smoothly on Linux boxes (It can run for
days without major issues):
   Linux 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3smp and
   Java version "1.4.2_10"
   ITK (Oct 6, 2005)
   2GB memory

Now I am trying to run it on Window systems:
   MS XP pack2
   Java version "1.4.2_10"
   ITK (Oct 6, 2005)
   Cmake 2.0 - patch 3
   VC++ 6.0
   2GB memory
    (There are two DLLs: ITKCommon.dll built based on ITK source code
and ImgProcPack_JAVA.dll built based on our own C++ code as native
libraries for Java)

There are two problems when it runs on Window systems:

1) Occasionally, there will be a "Stack-overflow" error.
I have tried to
	Increase the stack-size in Cmake;
	Use different Java release, such as 1.5
	Use different VC++ release, such as 7.0
	- it would not help;
2) When the program runs for a long period of time, it consumes more and
more memory. I am thinking that I might misuse the smart pointers in
some way. Is there any situation where I do need to delete the buffers
or set the pointers to 0?

I will continue checking my code for bugs and any help is extremely
appreciated.

-Andrew

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. If you are the intended recipient, please be advised that the content of this message is subject to access, review and disclosure by the sender's Email System Administrator.