[Insight-users] Problems building ITK 2.8.1 on Sun OS + gcc

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 18 06:55:06 EDT 2006

Hi Jordi,

This is probably due to the broken tar tool that is delivered with Sun
workstations.

The SUN tar has a different way of computing checksums, and truncates
filenames during the decompression of a .tar.gz file that was created
with GNU tar. Since the filenames are truncated, then CMake cannot
find the expected filenames as specified in the CMakeLists.txt files.

You may want to make sure that you use the GNU tar tool, and not the
native SUN tar. Or, you could download ITK using the CVS, by using
the tag ITK-2-8-1

For more details on the SUN broken tar tool, please take a look
at the following email from the archives:

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-users/2005-December/016107.html