[Insight-users] Image Piece Overlap Registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jul 17 11:44:44 EDT 2006

Hi Kevin,

If you can count on the microscope to perform translation without
any rotations of the plate, then you can restrict your registration
to use a TranslationTransform.  Since your images are of the same
modality you probably should try the NormalizedCorrelation image Metric
first.

This metric will work well with a RegularStep gradient descent
algorithm.

VERY IMPORTANT: Please make sure that you set the pixel size (spacing)
in your images correctly, as well as the origins of the images. If you
don't have reliable information about the origins, then you can set them
to zero and rather use your knowledge about the approximate translation
of the microscope in order to initialize the Transform before starting
the registration.

Note also that since your images will have a very thin overlap, it is
very important that you set the "FixedImageRegion" to cover only the
section of the fixed image that you expect will be overlapping the
moving image.

We will be interested to hear about your findings. BTW that will be
a nice submission to the Insight Journal.