[Insight-users] Question about DICOM files and grey levels

Remi Vieux revieux at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 28 11:20:23 EST 2006

Hi everyone,
Here is my question:
A DICOM file contains pixel data coded on 12 bits am I right? So that is
to say when you read a DICOM file you should obtain in example grey
levels from 0 to 4095.
So, I'm trying to read a 2D DICOM serie and put it in the so defined itk
Image:
typedef unsigned short PixelVolumeType;
const unsigned int VolumeDimension = 3;
typedef itk::Image<PixelVolumeType, 3> VolumeType;

When I check the values of the pixel, its "all" in the 64000's, that is
to say well above the theoric 4095 max value. In the documentation it is
suggested to use signed short as Pixel Type for reading DICOM files, so
my guess is that it is the conversion from signed to unsigned which
results in those anormal values. So, is it possible to get the data with
the "correct" values directly?

Regards,
Remi.