[Insight-users] Streaming and ImageIO

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Wed Feb 22 08:56:47 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 14:13 +0100, Jordi Inglada wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am interested in reading very large images (i.e. 24000 x 24000 pixels)
> in an optimized way. I have read in section 13.3 of the Software Guide
> that streaming is implemented in the pipeline. My question is:
>
> Do the ImageIO or the ImageFileReader classes use the streaming for file
> access? Or are the images completely loaded into memory and streaming is
> only used in ProcessObjects?

No, the ITK file readers do not support streaming. At least they did not
when I last looked.  The answer I got was to use the streaming IO in VTK
and the VTK to ITK pipeline available in the Insight Applications.

> In the case where the latter is true, which would be the best way to
> implement streaming for the file access (we have our own ImageIO classes
> for our exotic image formats)?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jordi

The ITK itkImageIOBase.h at least defines CanStreamRead() and
CanStreamWrite(), so streaming has at least been considered.
Unfortunately both just return false. Since you have your own IO, you
may be in a better position to make streaming work for it.  I'm sure
people here will help.