[Insight-users] Kideny Segmentation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Feb 20 21:30:06 EST 2006

Hi Emiliano,

Can you post in a web site a couple of screen shots of your images ?

That will help a lot to figure out the degree of irregularities
in your images.

If you are having to deal simultaneously with:

   1) Different intensities between left and right kidney
   2) Intensity irregularities inside the kidneys
   3) Diffuse edges

Then you probably may want to use model-based segmentation.

In this approach you create a geometrical model of a kidney
(e.g. by segmenting a typical kidney from another modality
such as CT or MR where the kidney anatomy will be better
defined).  Then you register this geometrical model against
the gamma camera image that you have.

You will find a description of this method at the end of the
Image Registration chapter of the ITK Software Guide:

        http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

As any other segmentation method, this approach has some
advantages and disadvantages, but, given the constrains
that you listed in your email, it seems to be more appropriate
than methods such as level sets, watersheds and region growing.

That being said...
We should first take a look at your images. Maybe the factors
that you describe are not as accentuated as we are assuming
here.