[Insight-users] Question about resampling and warping

Rosario Sance rsance at die.upm.es
Fri Feb 17 10:10:49 EST 2006

Hi everybody,

I´m dealing with a project of motion correction in 3D DCE-MRI series. Up to
now, I´ve tried several elastic registration algorithms, using MI and
different optimizers, and aplying multirresolution strategies. Since there
are intensity changes in my series along the time, I think that the most
appropriate approach is to use multimodality methods, in spite of I only
work with MRI.

Every suggestion of my previous work will welcomed.

Now, my questions:

1) When I define a BSpline grid and obtain a transform from the
registration process, I achieve the registered image using the
<http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/itkResampleImageFilter_8h-source.html>itk::ResampleImageFilter.
But since I´m working with 3D and respiratory motion, I have some
difficulties in visualizing the deformation field and interpreting it. I
have tried with the Glyph option of the Paraview tool. Would you recommend
me another way?

2) I have also tried the code of
Examples/Registration/DeformableRegistration2.cxx  and
Examples/Registration/DeformableRegistration5.cxx, so I have checked the
possibilities of  the DemonsRegistrationFilter and the
LevelSetMotionRegistrationFilter. In principle it should not work because
the dependence with the voxel intensity and the histogram, but I got
surprised because these algorithms reached a good registration outcomes,
correcting the position of the input images. However:
         - The resampled image looks absolutely fine about the position,
but not about the intensities, which seem to be adapted/very similar to
those in the reference image. Actually I am taking the spacing and origin
of the fixed image, but since I´m applying the output of the warping filter
on the moving image, shouldn´t be kept the intensities and corrected only
the position? I can´t understand how does the warping filter works, in
spite I have searched in the documentation...
         - On the other hand, I write the deformation field as an image of
vectors from the output of the warping filter, and keep it in a .vtk file.
But when I try to visualize it as I did with the deformation fields of the
resample filter, I don´t get to see any field. How does this filter store
the vectors field and could it been visualized? Which are the differences
between the use of both of the filters?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Rosario

Rosario Sance Garzón