[Insight-users] ITK Wrappers and gcc_xml

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 15 08:27:39 EST 2006

Hi folks,

I was hoping that someone who understands the current ITK wrapping
system can explain a fine point of how it interacts with gcc_xml.

Specifically, gcc_xml can emulate different compilers (e.g. MSVC++,
gcc of different versions, etc). Now, ITK contains some compiler-
specific code (e.g. with regard to how threads are handled, etc.). As
such, any attempt to wrap this compiler-specific code with gcc_xml
should be accompanied by setting gcc_xml up to emulate the compiler
that will actually be compiling the wrappers. Anything otherwise
would result in wrappers that can't be compiled with the host compiler.

However, I see no provisions for this in the actual ITK wrappers. Is
this because no compiler-dependent code is being wrapped?

Regardless of that, the WrapITK wrappers that Gaetan and I have been
working on does attempt to wrap compiler-generated code. Thus, I
would love to be able to figure out a reliable way to configure
gcc_xml to emulate whatever compiler is selected in/by cmake. Does
anyone have any ideas?

Zach