[Insight-users] Insight Journal submission: problems at every step of the way.

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 1 22:27:56 EST 2006

Hi folks,

I just submitted a brief Insight Journal submission describing a 2D
image contour extraction filter that I wrote, which I hope will prove
useful and merit inclusion in ITK. Unfortunately, I have had some
problems with this entire process, culminating in my code not
building because of some bizarre configuration issue on the build
machine that I of course cannot diagnose, and then being unable to
submit a revision to said code in the hopes of remotely diagnosing
the problem.

Here is a list of the problems I have encountered today with the
Insight Journal.

Problem 0 is the simple fact that documentation for this entire
process is scattered across at least two wikis (the itk wiki, and the
insight software colloquium wiki), with important information (like
the latex and source code templates for submission) only available on
the itk wiki. Figuring out what, precisely, I needed to do and how to
do it took far too long.

Problem 1 was that despite the fact that at the end of the new
submission process, I clicked "finish" and got an email saying that
the submission had been accepted, the paper did not show up in the
Insight Journal. Only after I clicked on "My Publications" and saw at
the end of the line a "finish publication" did I find yet more steps
to complete. I guess I clicked only on the "finish" button inside the
MIDAS frame, but perhaps not on the finish button outside of the
frame? Having two finish buttons to press is confusing and
counterintuitive.

Problem 2 centers around including source files for the automated
build system. Nowhere was it particularly well-explained that source
code should be uploaded alongside the article file -- I spent some
time searching for a specific entry point to upload source for the
automated build program. Only on my third perusal of http://
www.insightsoftwareconsortium.org/wiki/index.php/IJ-Testing-
Environment did I notice that source should be uploaded as a
secondary file and the build script will find it there.

So, I included a Source.tgz archive as a secondary file. However, tgz
files are marked as unsupported and the upload process gave me
trouble about that, despite the fact that the build system apparently
had no problem opening it.

Problem 3 is that the code will not build on the test system. The
problem is that the #define'd constant ITK_LOCATION (defined in
itkMacro.h) is mysteriously unavailable to my code on the build
machine, despite the fact that this constant is used throughout the
ITK codebase (grep for it), and itkMacro.h should have been included
properly. The same code compiles fine on my machine, where header
files are properly included.

Problem 4 came when I tried to fix the build issue. On the "My
Publications" link, there are two options: "modify revision" and
"post a new revision." Surprisingly, "modify revision" in no way
allows you to modify the revision. It just allows the exact same
revision to be re-posted. How this is a modification is beyond me.
The "post new revision" link then takes me to an extremely confusing
frame with the directions to "Scroll down the frame and click on 'Add
Bitstream'." When I did this and attempted to upload a new version of
the PDF and source.tgz, I was provided with an AUTHORIZATION REQUIRED
page because the operation was not permitted. So I can't add a new
file, and so I can't even begin to try to diagnose why the build
fails on the build machine.

All in all, this process has been extremely frustrating. Though I
support the intention behind this all, the fact is that I've spent a
day writing a "journal submission" describing an algorithm that is as
old as the hills and whose implementation is straightforward (and
exceptionally thoroughly documented in the code itself), and was then
rewarded with getting to spend all evening fiddling around with the
submit process. This is not a good use of my time.

Next time I write code for a basic, classic image processing method
that ITK needs but does not have for some reason, I'll have to think
twice about bothering to deal with all of this.

Zach