[Insight-users] about initial level set

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 29 02:57:37 EDT 2005

Did you set the filter's IsoContourValue? This tells the filter where
the boundary is in the initial level set. If you don't set it, it
defaults to zero, which is bad for an binary image where either the
inside or the outside would be zero. (This is all covered in the ITK
software guide.)

Also, the ITK convention is that the "inside" of a shape is defined by
values less that the IsoContourValue. So if your mask is zero outside
of the shape and 255 inside of the shape, you'd need to negate/invert
the image so that the inside values are less than the outside values.
Then, with a mask that has (say) inside with values of zero and outside
with values of one, you'd set the IsoContourValue to 0.5.

Luis knows this system better than I, and will probably have some
additional comments/corrections about the above.

Of course, you still might have better luck converting the binary
outline to a signed distance map; this might help the stability of the
subsequent computations. You would use either the
SignedDanielssonDistanceMapImageFilter (note: requires the "outside"
value of the binary mask to be zero), or the
ApproximateSignedDistanceMapImageFilter (faster, less accurate, and
allows arbitrary inside and outside values).

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine