[Insight-users] Passing a vector image from itk to vtk

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Tue Jun 21 13:48:52 EDT 2005

Probably the documentation is old.
Yes you can do this.
You can instantiate an image of type itk::RGBPixel and pass it through
to VTK with VTKImageExport.

Joel Schaerer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I need to pass vector images (that is, 3 components) from itk back to
> vtk for visualisation. The problem is that this operation is
> apparently unsupported by itk at the moment:
>
> From the itk documentation: "Currently VTKImageExport does not support
> pixel types with multiple components (like RGBPixel)."
>
> I suppose the reason it wasn't done is that it would require to
> actually scan and convert the image in memory, and implementing it
> seems pretty complex.

As you've mentioned the constraint of scanning and converting the image
in memory still holds, so the image has got to be a multi-component
image with all the pixel values contiguously placed as in
ImagePixel0Component_0 ImagePixel0Component_1 ImagePixel0Component_2 ...
ImagePixel0Component_n ImagePixel1Component_0 .........n

> Two questions:
>
> 1) Does anybody have code to do this?

InsighthtApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/itkReadITKImageShowVTK.cxx