[Insight-users] What optimizer and transform can/should I use?

Yu Qi felix_china at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Jun 20 04:33:09 EDT 2005

Hi,
I tried the Versor transform function and optimizer.
and following is the code for metric

 unsigned int numberOfBins =32;
  MetricType::HistogramType::SizeType histogramSize;
  histogramSize[0] = numberOfBins;
  histogramSize[1] = numberOfBins;
  metric->SetHistogramSize( histogramSize );

  const unsigned int numberOfParameters = transform->GetNumberOfParameters();
  typedef MetricType::ScalesType ScalesType;
  ScalesType scales( numberOfParameters );
  scales.Fill( 1.0 );

  metric->SetDerivativeStepLengthScales(scales);

I do not know why the computation was so slow.
Every iteration will take 2 second.
Do you know why?

Thanks!
Best regards,
Yu Qi

Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com> 写道:

Hi Yu,

The Optimizers to use depends a lot on the Transform
that you choose. Therefore the decision about the
Transform should be taken first.

Since this is 3D and you probably are dealing with
images from the same patient, I would suggest that
you use a rigid Transform such as:

VersorRigid3DTransform
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VersorRigid3DTransform.html

and therefore use the

VersorRigid3DTransformOptimizer
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VersorRigid3DTransformOptimizer.html

There are multiple options for Mutual Information, but
if you insist in using Normalized Mutual Information,
then the class that you need is:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1NormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric.html

You will find a versy similar example on the
ITK Software Guide

http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in section: 8.6.4, pdf-page 391. The source code is
available in

Insight/Examples/Registration/
ImageRegistration8.cxx

You are *STRONGLY* encouraged to read the full Chapter
on registration before you attempt to use this particular
example.