[Insight-users] Re: Demons Registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jun 15 18:55:40 EDT 2005

Hi Ping,

1) The Demons method is described in the ITK Software Guide.

          http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

    in section 8.14. pdf-page 469.

2) The papers that you must read are cited in that section:

    J. P. Thirion. Fast non-rigid matching of 3D medical image.
                   Technical report, Research Report RR-2547,
                   Epidure Project, INRIA Sophia, May 1995.

    J.-P. Thirion. Image matching as a diffusion process:
                   an analogy with maxwell’s demons.
                   Medical Image Analysis,
                   2(3):243–260, 1998.

3) Yes, the Standard deviations are intended to be used by
         smoothing filters that are applied to the deformation
         field and in this way will create the equivalent of
         an elastic constrain in the deformation.

Happy reading !  :-)