[Insight-users] Vectorizing 2D picture

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Wed Jun 15 13:59:54 EDT 2005

Fabrice --

there is very good software outside of ITK that might help you:

potrace - *potrace*.sourceforge.net
autotrace - *autotrace*.sourceforge.net

In each case, you need to convert your DICOM image to something more
generic, like TIFF or PNG for example. ITK should have a tool for that.

The output of the tracing tools will be SVG, EPS, or similar, so again,
you may have to convert to get the vectorized data into the next software.

I have used both tools, and they work very nicely. Personally, I prefer
potrace since its output is slightly more convenient to post-process
with an SVG editor. Autotrace often combines distant, separate objects
in the same polygon object, and that's a bit of a pain when you want to
delete something in the vectorized image.

Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
 Research Scientist             333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"