[Insight-users] Watershed Segmentation of 3D RGB Image (user-to-user)

Atwood, Robert C r.atwood at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jan 4 10:20:54 EST 2005

I read in the documentation somewhere that the watershed needs a floating-point data type as input , and programmed my use of this filter accordingly.

In any case, for the watershed algorithm  itself to make sense, you would need a data type on which you could define ordering (greater than, less than, equal to) ... which is not true for RGB data. I cast my (integer value) data to a float before using watershed on it and it works fine except for that bug I mentioned a while ago. In principle you should be able to watershed the red value, or the intensity, or any other scalar-valued feature of the rgb image; I expect that filters to extract these are already available.

Robert