[Insight-users] Re: about vector image

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Feb 18 02:33:10 EST 2005

Hi Minjie,

The current implementation of the Demons algorithms does not supports
vector images as input.

However, there is no conceptual reason why you couldn't extend the
class to this type of images. It will be a matter of preparing enough
coffee, taking as example the files:

      itkDemonsRegistrationFunction  .h .txx
      itkDemonsRegistrationImageFilter .h .txx

copy/rename them, and replacing the equation in the
DemonsRegistrationFunction in order to compute optical
flow as a function of a vector operation.

The only method that you have to change is in line 178:

               ComputeUpdate()

The bad news is that you will have to suggest a vector property
to use as a criteria.

The good news is that you probably can publish a paper for every
different vector criteria that you decide to use.    :-)

The basic registration framework does not support vector images
directly. However, if you want to extend it, you just need to
implement new Metrics that will take vector pixels into account.

VectorInterpolators are already available. E.g:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VectorLinearInterpolateImageFunction.html

Again, you probably can publish a paper for each Vector-Metric
that you may propose.

    Enjoy ITK !

       Luis