[Insight-users] Canny Edge Detection Filter Qns., etc.

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Dec 20 10:26:12 EST 2005

Hi Kalpathi,

1. The thresholds in the Canny Edge Detection filter implemented in
    ITK apply to the product of the Second Derivative and the image
    Gradient.

    Please see the code in

            Insight/Code/BasicFilters/
               itkCannyEdgeDetectionImageFilter.txx

     Lines 370-407

::HysteresisThresholding()
{
// This is the Zero crossings of the Second derivative
// multiplied with the gradients of the image.
// HysteresisThresholding of this image should give
// the Canny output.
   typename OutputImageType::Pointer input =
                   m_MultiplyImageFilter->GetOutput();

2. The .mhd file header is part of the MetaImage file format.
    For details about this format, please refer to the
    ITK Software Guide:

        http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

    and the Data page of www.itk.org

        http://www.itk.org/HTML/Data.htm

    where you will find instructions on how to create .mhd files
    for your raw images.

    Also the FAQ:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ#What_3D_file_formats_can_ITK_import_and_export.3F

3.  I couldn't find the colon datasets that you are refering to
     in your email at nova.nlm.nih.gov.

     I presume that they are CT datasets..., is that right ?

     You should try using the Example:

              Insight/Examples/IO
                  DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2.cxx

     It will convert a Dicom series into another file format
     such as Analyze, MetaImage, or GIPL.

     What DICOM viewer were you using ?