[Insight-users] Obtaining shape information from a region

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Aug 23 11:33:23 EDT 2005

Hi Aster,

There are filters that will extract the pixels from
the boundary and set them on in an outptu image:

SimpleContourExtractorImageFiler
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1SimpleContourExtractorImageFilter.html

You can also use the BinaryMaskToNarrowBandImageFilter
that will return you a PointSet with all the points
that are located at a selected distance from the edge
of your segmented object.
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1BinaryMaskToNarrowBandPointSetFilter.html

However, I would strongly discurage you from encoding
the information of your segmentation in a simple list
of points, because you will lose all the connectivity
information, which is very expensive to recover from
just a cloud of points.

Of course, it all depends on what is your final goal....

If you are looking for a Mesh representation of your
object, then you should consider to include not only
the points (locations of pixels as returned by the
IndexToPhysicalPoint() method in the itk::Image), but
also the neighborhood information.

You may want to read the "Data Representation" Chapter
from the ITK Software Guide:

   http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in order to get familiar with the mechanisms for
representing Meshes.

   Regards

      Luis