[Insight-users] Compile issues with ITK - itkNumericTraits.h

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Nov 27 21:32:26 EST 2004

Hi Stefan,

We were hoping to get this done for the next release,
in February 2005, but it is somehow tied to how many
users are actually requiring gcc-3.4.

-----------------------
Stefan Engström wrote:

> [...]
> recent gnu compilers, do you know what the approximate timeframe is?
>
> All the best,
>
> Stefan Engstrom
>
> Luis Ibanez wrote:
>

>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> ITK has not been fully adapted for GCC 3.4.
>>
>> Many of the default behaviors related to templates have been
>> changed between GCC 3.4 and GCC 3.3.
>>

>>            Please use GCC 3.3, or 3.2
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>>    Luis
>>

>> -----------------
>> Stefan wrote:
>>
>>> I had a working copy of ITK 1.8.1 last week on a machine running SuSE
>>> 9.1. Unfortunately its main hard drive crashed and I installed Fedora
>>> Core 3 on the new setup instead. As I try to compile ITK from the
>>> same source (1.8.1), I run into some interesting-looking compile-time
>>> issues. Trying the CVS source instead, I still have compile-time
>>> trouble, but in a different place this time. Here is the complaint
>>> from the compiler for the current CVS source (as of Nov 24, 5 pm CST).
>>>
>>> === final lines from top-level make ===
>>> cmake.depends is up-to-date
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight-bin/Code/Numerics: building default_target
>>> Building object file itkAmoebaOptimizer.o...
>>> In file included from
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkSingleValuedCostFunction.h:23,
>>>                 from
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkSingleValuedNonLinearOptimizer.h:21,
>>>
>>>                 from
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkSingleValuedNonLinearVnlOptimizer.h:20,
>>>
>>>                 from
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkAmoebaOptimizer.h:20,
>>>                 from
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkAmoebaOptimizer.cxx:20:
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Common/itkNumericTraits.h: In static
>>> member function `static T itk::NumericTraits<T>::NonpositiveMin()':
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Common/itkNumericTraits.h:61: error:
>>> there are no arguments to `min' that depend on a template parameter,
>>> so a declaration of `min' must be available
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Common/itkNumericTraits.h:61: error:
>>> (if you use `-fpermissive', G++ will accept your code, but allowing
>>> the use of an undeclared name is deprecated)
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Common/itkEventObject.h: In member
>>> function `virtual void itk::AmoebaOptimizer::StartOptimization()':
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Common/itkEventObject.h:137: error:
>>> `itk::StartEvent::StartEvent(const itk::StartEvent&)' is private
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkAmoebaOptimizer.cxx:188:
>>> error: within this context
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Common/itkEventObject.h:138: error:
>>> `itk::EndEvent::EndEvent(const itk::EndEvent&)' is private
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkAmoebaOptimizer.cxx:226:
>>> error: within this context
>>> make[5]: *** [itkAmoebaOptimizer.o] Error 1
>>> make[4]: *** [default_target] Error 2
>>> make[3]: *** [default_target_Numerics] Error 2
>>> make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2