[Insight-users] Speed increase in registration methods

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Nov 27 21:30:02 EST 2004

Hi Mark,

This is one of those situations where we have to
choose between performance and flexibility.

If we adopt the FixedArray as the carrier of the
Transform parameters, this means the transform type
must be used at compile time, because the dimension
of the FixedArray is a template parameters and must
therefore be known at compilation time.

Therefore, we should get back to a previous (2 or
3 years old) implementation of the Registration framework
where all the components were implemented using Generic
Programming.

The current implementation offers run-time flexibility
at the expense of performance. That is, it allows you
to change the Transform type at run-time and will adapt
to your change because the size of the Array is defined
at run time.

So, to summarize: the change of Array for FixedArray can
be done, but it will require a complete refactoring of the
registration methods.  It is not just changing the Metrics,
it also include refactoring all the Transform and all the
Optimizers.

The bottom line question is:

What do ITK users prefer ?

           speed   or    flexibility.