[Insight-users] Re: Segementing Brain Tumour + Level Set Filters

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Nov 24 19:27:14 EST 2004

Hi Neha,

For the same image:   tumor57.png you can also use
the ShapeDetectionLevelSetImageFiltere.

Note however that this filter defines the borders
of structures based on gradients. Therefore the
segmentation will find the internal border of the
tumor, if you initialize the level set in the center.

A segmentation of the tumor in tumor57.png is attached.

It was generated with the example in

      Insight/Examples/Segmentation/
                ShapeDetectionLevelSetFilter

without any modification in the source code, and just
by using the following command line arguments

   ShapeDetectionLevelSetFilter
     tumor57.png  tumor57Segmented.png 30 63 5 1 -1 5 1 20

Where

the number 30 63 are the approximate center of the tumor
the number  5 is the radius to be used for an initial level set
the number  1 is the sigma for the gaussian used in the speed
               image computation
the numbers -1  5 are alpha and beta for the Sigmoid filter used
               in the speed image computation
the numbers  1 20 are the curvature and propagation scaling.

For a detailed description of this example, please look at the
ITK Software Guide

              http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in the Level Set Segmentation Chapter.

On way of getting the external border of the tumor is to dilate
this segmentation, and use it as the inital level set for another
run of the ShapeDetection filter.  In this way the level set will
walk up to the next edge.