[Insight-users] Re: DFT-2D and 3-D

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Nov 24 15:46:35 EST 2004

Hi Josiane,

As you probably know, the Fourier Transform of most
images with natural scenes have a very high content
in low frequencies. Therefore the output of the FFT
filter typically looks like a bright spot in the middle
with an exponential decay towards the borders.

It is not rare to use a logarithmic intensity transformation
in order to display the FFT output and still be able to "see"
something.

Please be more specific in your comments.

for example:

1) What images do you find with constant intensity ?
    The output of the FFT ?

    Note that those are Real and Imaginary parts.

    How did you arrived to the conclusion that they
    have contant values ?
    did you generated their histograms ?
    did you just opened them with a naive viewer ?

2) What images are homogeneous ?
    and what you mean by "homogeneous" ?
    do you mean that all the intensities among the
    pixels are very similar ?

    and yet,... the "intensities change" ?

I'm guessing that you are doing something like
running an FFT and then right away running an
inverse FFT. In order to verify if you recover
the same image.

Is that what your are trying to do  ?

If so, beware the you should avoid the conversion
of the FFT output into a integer pixel type since
you will lose a lot of spectral contributions
specially for the high frequencies.

Please give us a better context of what you are
trying to do.