[Insight-users] newbie question

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Nov 23 23:36:29 EST 2004

Hi Xav,

Welcome to ITK !

Please note that ITK is using an advanced level of C++.

You may want to work in your C++ skill before engaging
frontally with ITK. That will save you a lot of time
in the long run.

About your questions:

1) When you use the "Debug" mode in compilation, your
    final executable will contain extra information that
    allows a debugger to track the execution of the program
    and associate it to the original source code. This mode
    is very informative but it is slow for execution and
    produces much larger executable files

    When you use the "Release" mode in compilation your
    final executable is optimized for execution speed.
    This executable will not be suitable for debugging,
    but it will be fast for execution.

    In general you work initially in "Debug" mode, and
    once you have confidence in your code you recompile
    it in "Release" mode.

2) You should *NEVER* mix code compiled for "Debug" with
    code compiled for "Release".

3) The reason why you cannot find the ITKCommon.dll is that
    you have not added its directory to the PATH.  You can
    do this in Windows XP by clicking on the "My Computer"
    icon, and going to "Advanced", "Environment Variables".

    Note that you should make your mind regarding whether
    you use Debug or Release.

    *DO NOT* put both the Debug and the Release directories
    of your ITK build in the PATH since that will create
    confusion at run time, between both .dlls.

4) Given that ITK is based in Generic Programming, and
    therefore most of its implementation is using C++
    templates, you don't get much benefits from using
    Windows shared libraries. They usually cause only
    pain and frustration. Probably the only good reason
    for using ITK Shared Libraries in Windows is when
    you are wrapping ITK for Tcl, or Python or Java.

Please consider following a C++ tutorial before you
continue your journey in the exciting world of ITK.