[Insight-users] NMI registration with 1+1 optimizer

Martin Kavec kavec at messi.uku.fi
Mon Nov 22 06:57:18 EST 2004

Hello everybody,

I have used MultiResMIRegistration project from InsightApplications-1.8.0 as a
base and tried to modify it to use normalized mutual information together
with OnePlusOne optimizer. Also, I carefully looked at the
ImageRegistration14.cxx from ITK Examples/Registration, since it uses the
mentioned metric and optimizer.

The attached files are the only files I have modified and they compile fine on
my system (gcc 3.3.4 20040623 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.4-r1, ssp-3.3.2-2,
pie-8.7.6). However, the registration throws following exception on the 0
level:

Caught an exception:

itk::ExceptionObject (0x8110dd8)
Location: "Unknown"
File: /opt/include/InsightToolkit/Algorithms/itkHistogramImageToImageMetric.txx
Line: 255
NormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric(0x8101410): All the
points mapped to outside of the moving image

I am not sure, if I haven't done any fatal errors, while I edited the files. I
searched for help ITKSoftwareGiude, ITK/VTK mailing lists and all the
Registration/Examples. I am sending any detailes of the input volumes because
I guess, the problem is still in the attached code.

I would very much appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Martin