[Insight-users] Re: Tumor Measurements..

Simon Warfield warfield at bwh.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 9 15:37:43 EST 2004

Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Hi Lino,
>
> The main two aspects that you may want to evaluate of a
> segmentation method are:
>
> 1) Is it "at least" as repeatable as a human rater ?
>
> 2) Are its differences with a human rater smaller or
> equal to the differences between two different raters ?
>

>> 4.- Do you know of any paper in which the authors present a
>> comprehensive
>> comparison of expert-made measurements with computer-generated
>> measurements? I want to produce a tool that could be used in clinical
>> practice and I think that the best way of convincing clinicians of the
>> validity of the tool is providing a sound statistical analysis.

I think comparison to expert rater performance is an excellent way to
determine if an algorithm is an acceptable replacement for an operator.
There is some question as to exactly how such a comparison should be done.
 I like the method described in the paper by Warfield, Zou and Wells
2004 IEEE TMI here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15250643

http://splweb.bwh.harvard.edu:8000/~warfield/papers/2004/warfield-staple-tmi-in-press.pdf

--