[Insight-users] link error in itkApplication

Jim Lii jimlii at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 15:46:33 EST 2004

The only problem I had with VTK 4.2 (VTK_USE_HYBRID ON) and InsightApplications 1.8 was: can't open include file: vtkImageMarchingCubes.h & vtkDecimate.h in compiling DeformableModelApplication.cxx. After some searching I noticed the following conditional include in file applications/SNAP/Logic/Mesh/VTKMeshPipeline.h. Seems the DeformableModelApplication assumes (requires) the USE_VTK_PATENTED be ON. (always inculde these two .h files) So I re-run cMake*** with USE_VTK_PATENDED ON and rebuild VTK. Now InsightApplications 1.8 build ok with USE_FLTK and USE_VTK set to ON.

***(If I just make there two .h files visible to the compiler, I got other errors).

I am a newbie with XP, cMake 2.0.5, .net 2003, fltk 1.1.5, vtk 4.2 and insight 1.8.1 and insightapplication 1.8.0. Questions are

1. Is it really necessary to rebuild with vtk 4.4 and,
2. Where can I find all the meaning of the setting for cMake, what impact they might have and dose it matter if all build ok?

// Optional selection of patented or non-patented algorithms

#ifdef USE_VTK_PATENTED
  #include <vtkImageMarchingCubes.h>
  #include <vtkDecimate.h>
#else
  #include <vtkContourFilter.h>
  #include <vtkPolyDataNormals.h>
  #include <vtkDecimatePro.h>
#endif file only will be inculded if VTK

Thanks,

Jim

Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com> wrote:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for pointing this out.

It seems that we missed to update the README.txt file
for the ITK release 1.8.

We just committed a fix for this file. It now says:

> * VTK requires VTK version 4.4 and must be built ANSI_STDLIB
> (the ANSI_STDLIB flag is only a concern with VisualStudio 6.0).
>
> * CMake version 2.0.3 or later should be used.
>
> * FLTK version 1.1.4 is required
>
> * Qt version 2.3 is required (if you select to build Qt examples)

Please let us know if you encounter any other problem.

http://mail.yahoo.com