[Insight-users] Re: GetJacobian in some transforms

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed May 12 14:49:48 EDT 2004

Hi Marius,

Rigid2DTransform and Rigid3DTransform cannot have Jacobians
because they are base classes for particular parameterizations
of these transforms.  You will find the Jacobians implemented
in their derived classes.

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1Rigid2DTransform.html

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1Rigid3DTransform.html

The Jacobian is computed as the derivatives of the mapped point
with respect to the transform parameters. Given that there are
many different ways of parameterizing a rigid transform, those
Jacobians can only be computed once a particular set of parameters
has been selected.  For example, rotation can be represented with
Euler angles or with Versors.

Please don't use the Rigid3DTransform or Rigid2DTransform, use one
of their derived classes.