[Insight-users] BSplineDeformableTransform: Initializing fromlandmarks?

Lydia Ng lng at insightful.com
Fri Jun 11 13:57:40 EDT 2004

Zach,

> The main advantage appears to be the ability to add a "bulk transform"
> to the B-spline transform, so that you can simultaneously perform
> gross, rigid registration and more fine deformable registration,
> instead of requiring a two-step process. Is this correct?

Actually, the parameters for the "bulk transform" is not optimized. i.e. the
bulk transform parameters are not part of the parameters of the
BSplineTransform class.

I have been using the "bulk transform" in the following scenario. I first do
a rigid/affine registration, then I use the resulting parameter as the "bulk
transform" instead of resampling. The advantages to me is than I haven't lost
or introduced artificial information and that I can always get a mapping from
the fixed image to the original moving image.

-------------------------------

> Further, I am interested if there is any way to (directly or
> approximately) initialize a B-spline deformable transform with
> landmarks.
-- snip ---
> Any thoughts or musings about either of these questions would be most
> appreciated.

The following is more in the musing category.

I think the KernelTransform hierarchy provides a mechanism to create a
transform from two sets of landmarks (but I haven't tried it myself yet).

So, one thing to try could be to add the KernelTransform as the "bulk
transform".

Alternatively, you could create a field from the KernelTransform by
populating a vector image with (mappedPoint - fixedPoint). Then do some
smoothing or downsampling to make sure you "don't mangle" you data too much.
Then use some sort of adaptor and do a bspline decomposition on each
component of the vector field and then finally convert result to parameters
of the bspline deformable transform.

At this stage I am not sure if ITK has all the components. Let us know what
you find.

Cheers,
Lydia