[Insight-users] file conversion

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Dec 30 10:57:16 EST 2004

Hi Lindsey,

VFF files start with at text header, and finish with the binary
data of the image.

You can simply keep your VFF file as it is, and create a MetaImage
header for it.  The MetaImage Header will refer to your VFF file
so you will not have any data duplication in your disk. The only
restriction is that the metaimage header must be kept in the same
directory as your VVF file.

For details on how to create a MetaImage header please look at
the Data page in itk.org:

            http://www.itk.org/HTML/Data.htm

your meta image header will look like

NDims = 3
DimSize = 278 278 192
ElementSpacing = 1.5 1.5 3.0
Position = 0 0 0
ElementByteOrderMSB = True
ElementType = MET_SHORT
HeaderSize = -1
ElementDataFile = lindseysfile.vff

note the use of "HeaderSize = -1" will make that the ITK reader
computes for you the header size of the VFF file.

You will have to change: DimSize, ElementSpacing, ElementType
and ElementByteOrderMSB, and make them match the characteristics
of your image.

Please let us know if you find any problem while creating the
MetaImage header for this file.