[Insight-users] Using automake instead CMake - Dangerous?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Dec 22 22:17:11 EST 2004

Hi Wagner,

Using Automake instead of CMake is indeed *Very Dangerous*:

You are are terrible risk of:

1) Wasting your valuable time in tweaking the
    configure options instead of using your skills
    for doing Medical Image Processing.

2) Have a hard time finding all the settings required
    for building applications based on ITK and/or VTK.

3) Customizing a configuration that will only work
    in a Unix environment and cannot be ported to
    MS-Windows, Mac, or be used with the Borland compiler.

4) Finding at the end that the reason why CMake came
    into existence is that ITK/VTK developers got tired
    of the obscurities and lack of portability of Automake.

5) You will have trouble publishing a papers with a title:
     "How I configured my project with Automake".

Enjoy CMake !

   Best regards,

     Luis