[Insight-users] about multi-modality 3D registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Dec 20 16:43:34 EST 2004

Hi Yixun

1) for MRI to CT, you may want to start with the VersorRigid3DTransform.
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VersorRigid3DTransform.html

   if after registering with this transform, you still find that
   there are corrections that need to be made, then you can refine
   with the AffineTransform.  At that point you want to inintialize
   the AffineTransform with the Matrix produced from your VersorRigid3D
   registration

   Note that you only need Affine refinement if you find one of the
   two remaining missregistration:

         A   Scaling
         B   Shearing

   If what you see is that there is still some rotation or translation
   to correct, then what you need to do is to further refine the
   parameters of the Rigid registration.

2) For Deformable registration you may want to try BSplines first.
   you will have the advantage that you can introduce the Transform
   resulting from your registration in (1) as the pre-transform to
   be applied before your BSpline transform. That will give you
   some continuity in your work flow.

   Note that in both cases you will have a lot of parameters
   to fine tune, and in both cases you will have to deal with
   long computational times.